26 Jan How to Protect Your Website from Malware
Now that we’ve learned all about malware and how it affects your computer and website, how can you protect yourself against malware?
Malware can result in the theft of your data, but also your customer’s data. This is especially important for online store (e-commerce) owners, as many contain very sensitive customer personal information (credit cards, addresses, contact information, birth dates, and more).
Did you know? Your business can be BLACKLISTED by search engines if your website is found to contain malware. This means, Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. will completely wipe your website from all search results entirely (you just disappear all together). Removing malware is crucial to securing your online presence.
Unfortunately, there will always be threats online that are getting more advanced and harder to spot, but there are so many easy ways to secure your private information, and we’re to help:
1. Get a trusted antivirus software for your computer such as McAfee or Norton.
2. Don’t click on suspicious download buttons and links.
3. Keep applications up to date! WordPress updates multiple times a month, and the apps within WordPress update just as often.
4. Encourage your customers to use strong passwords!
Bonus tip: Change your passwords often for an added level of personal security! Include numbers, letters, special characters, capital and lowercase letters.
5. Get an SSL certificate on your website! SSL certificates are usually about $150-$500 per year depending on the provider, but 1upCloud offers FREE 162 bit encryption SSL’s for the entirety of your time hosted with us. Fancy that.
We may not be able to stop every threat to your computer, but we’ll stack the deck well within your favor when it comes to your website.